Writing a CV is the first step in the job hunting process. But after you have written a compelling CV and mentioned all of your relevant work experience, you need to think about marketing it.
Generally you will be sending your CV to employers directly and replying to job ads. But, depending on the type of industry you want to work in, you might want to market your CV more widely. Marketing and promoting your CV will give you more confidence in your job hunt and it can lead to referrals.
Here’s a few ways you can market your CV;
- Upload your CV to relevant job sites. You can use these sites to find jobs to apply for but recruiters also use these sites to find candidates.
- Integrate industry keywords. If you are hosting your CV online on a job site you should use keywords that will make your CV more targetable. For instance if you want to work in customer service you should use words like customer orientated, customer service, front of house etc
- Use social media. Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter are a great way of promoting your CV. You can create personal profiles and link to an external website so why not consider setting up a blog and re-directing traffic there?
- Blogging is a great way of getting more attention. If you run a blog and talk about relevant jobs and your industry then you can host your CV on there. You might even have people contacting you directly.
- Word of mouth. Networking and talking to people is a proven way of upping your job profile. Attend events and meet people in your industry – raising the profile of your CV could lead to a job interview.