The latest UK unemployment figures show that the unemployment rate across the country, generally, is falling. The Office for National Statistics has reported a fall in 35,000 and the unemployment rate is now 8.3% – the lowest it has been since last summer!
But with 2.5 million people across the country still out of work, it’s clear that the job market and competition is still as tough as ever.
If you are currently job hunting, read these tips to help you maximise your search.
- Keep your CV writing up – it’s vital that you look at your CV template frequently during a job search to keep it packed with new information.
- Practice cover letter writing. While you are looking for a job spend time drafting cover letters for industries you would like to work in. The more you write down, the more your mind will be focused on any potential jobs that might come up.
- Job interview practice. If you are job hunting ensure you catch up with a friend and ask them to help you practice for an interview. It can really help you feel relaxed and can improve your chances of winning a job. (For some ideas of how to practice watch our career video).
- Look everywhere! Are you maximising your job hunting by looking in a variety of places? Don’t just stick to the weekly newspaper, ensure you are looking online and contacting relevant recruitment companies to help.
- Attend networking events. This is a great way of meeting business contacts and finding out about new work opportunities.