A report listed on the BBC website today has revealed that there is a lack of women occupying powerful jobs in the UK.
Less than a third of top jobs in the UK are currently occupied by women and of the UK’s 100 largest companies, only 16% of board members are female.
There are a number of theories as to why these figures are low – lack of confidence and stereotyping are just a few theories mentioned in the news today.
A lack of confidence can certainly affect job applications – especially if you are aiming for career progression or a promotion.
So, what skills are needed to gain a top job? And what do you need to do to make it to the top of your career ladder? We’ve listed some ideas below so, regardless of gender, if you’re thinking of applying for a top level job check out these tips;
- Confidence. We’ve already mentioned that a lack of confidence could be contributing to the low numbers of women working in top positions. Confidence in a job interview is crucial for any applicant so if you have got an interview coming up, ensure you remain positive and show how outgoing you can be.
- Experience. You can’t jump straight to the top of your career ladder over night so spend time gaining work experience in the field you want to work in.
- Networking. Networking is an effective way of meeting new contacts.
- Ambition. This is essential if you want to progress your career so you need to show this in both yourself and your CV template.
- Resilience. You won’t get every job you apply for so the crucial thing is to keep trying!
- Passion – demonstrate your passion for the role!
- Innovation. Every company requires new ideas and if you are looking to make it to a Director level then you will need to show you are innovative and can help to push the company forwards.